Monroe Street Construction
Hello Everyone, As a lot of you know there is a rather large construction project that will be starting on Monroe St in March. We are remaining open during this construction and we are excited to see our Monroe st get a facelift. Below is a Brief City Timeline on what will be happening as well as info we have put together for Bus Transit from Both major malls as well as UW Madison Campus. Take a Moment to look over the Information Below as Well as the Bus routes we have put together. Thank you, and we hope to see you in Cat Cafe Mad Soon.
We do need help to stay open during this construction. Please donate to our Save Cat Cafe Mad campaign: Please donate
- Park on the side streets or Trader Joes: do not try to park on Monroe
- Share rides to the Cat Cafe and Monroe Street: we have taxi rates for monroe street, share ubers
- Take the bus: runs only one direction so please plan
- Have one person drop off a group and pick up
- Park a block away from Monroe Street
- Allow extra time to get here and home
We will be doing reservations only Monday to Friday and open walk ins on Saturday & Sundays. Events Thursday nights and Friday nights please make reservations.
Monday, February 5, 2018, to Mid-March 2018:
- MG&E Gas will install underground gas lines between Chapman Street and Woodrow Street.
- Only one lane of eastbound traffic and one lane of westbound traffic will be maintained at all times—the peak hour traffic lanes will be closed.
- Metro Transit bus service will be maintained in both eastbound and westbound directions. Some bus stops will need to be relocated or closed at various times. A list of these stops can be found at http://www.cityofmadison.com/metro/detours/monroestops.cfm
- The sidewalk on one side of Monroe Street will be maintained at all times.
Mid-March 2018 to Mid-November 2018:
- City reconstruction contract will take place.
- Westbound (outbound) traffic lanes will be closed. One eastbound (inbound) traffic lane will remain open at all times from Odana Road and one eastbound lane will remain open from Nakoma Road.
- Crazylegs Lane will be permanently closed to create a new public space.
- South Breese Terrace between Regent Street and Monroe Street will be closed during construction.
- The Southwest Commuter Path will be redirected during some phases of construction but will remain open at all times.
- Eastbound Metro Transit routes will be maintained with bus stops at Glenway Street, Commonwealth Avenue, Arbor Drive, Leonard Street, and Grant Street. Planned detours and shuttle information can be found at http://www.cityofmadison.com/metro/monroe/
Monroe Street is scheduled to be resurfaced/reconstructed in 2018. The project limits and construction years are as follows:
- Resurfacing – Odana Rd. to Leonard St.
- Reconstruction – Leonard St. to Regent St.
The projects will include design consideration for many items including pavement, curb & gutter, sidewalk, storm sewer, sanitary sewer, water main, streetscape items, lighting, signals & green street/water resource considerations etc.